Following your Bowen Treatment you may experience a range of reactions and although this is quite normal, there are certain things that you can do and avoid, to limit the severity of these, and to complement the treatment.
1) On the day of the treatment avoid sitting cross-legged. We recommend that you try and avoid sitting down for too long. Please try to walk around briefly every half an hour, (including stopping to do so if you are driving). This doesn’t apply if you need to lie down or sleep which is often the best thing you can do after a treatment.
2) You should not have any other form of hands on therapy whilst undergoing a course of Bowen. This includes massage, healing, acupuncture, reflexology, or physiotherapy. If in doubt consult your therapist. However, you MUST continue as normal with any prescribed medication, diet, homeopathic or herbal remedy unless your health practitioner advises you otherwise.
3) Avoid strenuous activity after treatment, including physical exercise. Gentle walking or stretching is encouraged, but try and plan a quiet time if you can and rest as much as possible.
4) Avoid alcohol after treatment, and limit tea and coffee intake. The Bowen Technique encourages the removal of dysfunctional debris and toxins from the system and in order to do this will call on the body’s reserves of fluid.
5) Drink plenty of water. We recommend about 1.5 litres per day. For some people this will be quite a lot but the key is to drink it at room temperature, little and often.
6) Avoid extremes of temperatures. No hot or cold showers, or ice/heat packs. A relaxing warm bath is fine, especially with 150g of Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulphate).
7) Avoid launching straight back into your normal activity. Even if you feel better try to build up gradually.
8) If at any time you have any doubts, problems or concerns please contact me.